This beautiful medieval church dates back as early as the 13th Century, as evidenced by its surviving west tower. The current nave and chancel were added in the 14th and 15th centuries. The church retains many treasures including its beautiful hammer beam roof described by Mortlock & Roberts as “one of the most perfect small-scale roofs anywhere.”
The church also contains a small but outstanding collection medieval stained glass, particularly remarkable as it is rare to find so many full scale figures of this era in a Norfolk Church. Although the age of the glass is not documented, David King dates it to the 1460s based on both the presence on the roof of Walter Lyhart’s shield (Bishop of Norwich 1446 - 72) and the fact that the donor figures installed in nearby Taverham church in the 1460s were painted from the same cartoon. Additionally the figures are painted in a style which is redolent of the period being characterized by sharp detail, thin pointed facial features and ornamental drapery and accessories.
For further information and to view the details of each window click the boxes below. For a downloadable and printable fact sheet click