St Andrew's church retains a Saxon round tower but it is the distinctive cruciform design of the church building that is unusual, each arm of the cross being almost equal in length.
The nave doorways date to the 13th century. The transepts were added in the 14th century, after which the present chancel was built in the 15th century. The nave was rebuilt in the late 15th century, probably at the same time that the tower's attractive octagonal top was added. There were two major restorations in the 19th century, and during the latter in 1890, the south porch was built. The chancel east window, ceiling and steps were added in 1912 by Sir Ninian Comper which gives the building a feeling of space and light
Although there is no medieval glass there is some fine Victorian glass by William Wailes installed primarily in the 1870s