The earliest part of the church was built in late Saxon times, probably just before or just after the Norman Conquest in the late 11th Century. All that survive are fragments of wall colour seen during the Victorian renovations.
Major rebuilding and expansion took place in the late 14th century, created largely in the ‘decorated’ style of gothic architecture, but also with some elements of the later perpendicular style.
The south aisle was built during this period, necessitating the raising of the roof of the nave, Probably it was at this point that the clerestory windows were inserted, to bring much needed light into the nave.
In 1618, the whole church was newly paved and repaired, and the pulpit and desk new made.