Click/tap for Full page Zoomify view
This remarkably complete 15th century window has changed little since it was donated by Sir Robert Wingfield. Robert was the second husband of Anne Harling. Anne was the daughter of Sir Robert Harling and the last representative of the family. She was a considerable heiress and both in her own right, and in the name of her husbands, was largely responsible for the 15th century refurbishment of the church.
That the window survived at all is amazing. To escape the ravages of Cromwell’s troops, it was removed and hidden in the attic of East Harling Hall, the ancient home of the Lovell family. In 1736, when the manor was sold to Thomas Wright, the glass was returned to its original setting. It was again removed during the Second World War and replaced and releaded in 1947.
It is believed that the window was made over the period c1465 – c1480. Accredited to the Norwich school of glassmakers, as a collection of glass it is second only to the East window of St Peter Mancroft (Norwich). According to David King many of the designs at the two locations are the same in particular both decorative motifs and painting styles are similar. The major differences at East Harling relate to: the use of canopies, faces being more “linear and robust”, drapery being more angular whilst sceneshere tend to be more two dimensional.
For information on each panel together with an explanation of their content please refer to the downloadable factsheet.