The shrine was first established c1061 by Richeldis de Faverches following a number of visions of the Virgin Mary. It became a principal pilgrimage centre in England before it was destroyed in 1538 on the orders of Henry VIII, after which pilgrimage ceased for nearly 400 years.
The present day shrine was built in 1931. Established by Father Alfred Hope Patten, its design incorporates many features that would have been familiar to medieval pilgrims. As such it incorporates colourful paintings & statues and gives great honour to the Virgin Mary.
The decorative windows include both stained & etched glass which add much to the ambience of the shrine.
For more comprehensive information on the shrine visit www.walsinghamanglican.org.uk