Click/tap for Full page Zoomify view
The north aisle and south aisle east windows were made as a pair.
They are believed to have been designed by George Hedgeland (who designed the west window in the Cathedral)
in the mid 19th century and are dedicated to the memory of M & W Tyssen Amherst, who bought Didlington Hall in 1843.
Both windows have “gothic” surrounds although the main lights are described by Haward as being “renaissance in character”.
Here the main lights depict three scenes from the life of Christ namely: “The Angel at the Tomb”, “The Ascension” and “Christ with Disciples and Sheep.”
At the base of the lights is a quote from Corinthians 1:15:22 “ As in Adam all die even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
”Underneath a pelican vulning or wounding herself (the pelican became a symbol of the Eucharist in heraldry in recognition of her attentiveness to her young,
to the extent that she provided her own blood when no other food was available) is flanked by the evangelists St Mark and St John
who as normal are portrayed respectively as a winged lion and a rising eagle.