Stained Glass of Gunthorpe St Mary

Despite an extensive 19th century refurbishment this attractive church retains a number of its medieval features including the 14th century Decorated tracery in the east window and its 15th century nave windows, tower and font. Between 1863/4 Canon Sparke (rector 1831 – 1870) oversaw a complete rebuilding of the chancel, when it acquired marble and alabaster decorations and a Te Deum reredos. It is believed that the architect of the work was Frederick Preedy who was also responsible for designing stained glass windows in the church described by Birkin Haward as “outstanding”.

For a downloadable and printable fact sheet click F for Fact sheet symbol

plan of church
Click the window icons for more information and to zoom into that window.